Reputed to be the Santa Monica Canyon beach house for the Crenshaw family, the original shingled cottage dates back to the first years of the twentieth century. Modestly modernized over the years, the house retained its period detail and texture but its new owners required that it be made relevant to contemporary living.
We removed the additions built in the 1930's and restored portions of the house using period,'single-wall' construction. Much of the interior had hand-adzed, old-growth redwood boards and battens and rough plastered ceilings - these surfaces were retained and in some cases replicated, but were then set against new plaster, stone and glass in the kitchen and bathrooms.
The cottage is part of a three building complex set within enveloping gardens and linked by hardwood decks that dissolve the distinctions between inside and outside. The second cottage was reconfigured to serve as the master suite and the new, third building houses the owners' studio and guest quarters.
Photography, Everett Fenton Gidley